Laogai Research Foundation (LRF) Executive Director Position
1) Board Governance: Works with Board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading LRF in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the LRF, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support LRF’s mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through research programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of the LRF’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that the LRF can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of the LRF’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for effective administration of LRF operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Knowledge and awareness of the Chinese communist system, the Laogai system and the human rights violations in China.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in both English and Chinese
- Strong research management skills
- A master’s degree or equivalent experience
- Five or more years of nonprofit management experience
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Strong public speaking ability
- Social media skills
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies.
Actual Job Responsibilities:
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as the LRF’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance LRF’s mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions and overall visibility of the foundation.
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee research and other communications efforts.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include health, retirement and PTO.
Application package should include a cover letter, a resume, and three qualification references’ contact information.
The Laogai Research Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.